Skip to main content

Cycling around the city

Pune, it seems was once a city of bicycles. This non polluting environment friendly vehicle was a prime mover in this city. But not now! Now Pune is a highly polluted city bustling with two wheelers and cars. There are close to a million two wheelers in this city. Many economists may look at this as the great Emerging India Phenomenon, but that is so myopic.
To come to the point, a few weekends back, your truly decided to take a tour of the city on my Hero Ranger Swing. It was a cool 25 Kms trip that lasted around 4 hours with a lunch in between.
I started from my apartment at around 12 in the noon and was back by 4 in the evening. Starting from my apartment in Bavdhan, I climbed and descended the small hill of Chandani Chowk. Then just around 4 Kms away from home came my first break. I felt dehydrated immediately and understood how important it is to carry water with you while cycling. Ater cooling off for 5/10 mins and having a glass of lassi, I pedalled further. With minor interruptions from rains, I managed to take Paud road, Karve road, diversion at SNDT college, KNP, Prabhat road and coming out in Good Luck chowk from Bhandarkar road. This was one leg of the journey. A fact worth noting was that despite the halts and the cycling speed, it took me just 5 minutes more that it would have taken me in Car.
Wadeshwar is a restaurant you must eat at when you are in Pune. They server authentic South Indian food. Especially their Appes are just yummmmm!!! Having a good meal at Wadeshwar with the better half, I proceeded further. This time on a different route.
I crossed the entire length of FC road and touched the University road near Sahakar Sankul Junction. From here, it was a relatively flat road via E-square, University chowk, DRDO, Pashan circle and back home. I had decided on may way back that having consumed sufficient fluids at lunch, I need not take any breaks. Thankfully, I stuck successfully to my resolution. Not to mention I was all dead tired at the end of this journey. But the effort was really worth the exhilaration it provided.

Update: I found this sexy website that allows me to post a map of my rides. Not only that, it also calculates the distance I have cycled. Isn't that amazing!!!
Check out the route I took:

Comments

Kalpesh Saglani said…
at last u r back with some bakwaas?
Clueso said…
Way to go dude! both of us here are regular cyclists but its a totally different ball game to be cycling in Pune. Now that you have started, I will join you when I am in Pune next :)

btw, a childhood project of mine has been to cycle from ponda to panaji...you game? :)

Popular posts from this blog

What (not) to expect from a politician

  The photo has no real significance to the subject being discussed :-) Off late, I have seen a lot of my friends venting their anguish against politicians. Many of them expected the politicians to behave more responsibly, discipline the public on dos & don'ts of COVID precautions, get national priorities right and basically change the society to which they belong and are elected representatives. I think this bunch has wrong expectations from the wrong group of people. Here is why - A politician's entire existence is centred around election victory. Winning an election is their Key Performance Indicator (KPI). A consistently losing politician who is not making any effort to come to power, is not even a politician. Acceptance from society, popularity and majoritarian view are the fundamental characteristics of a politician. They have to operate within the limits of these fundamentals to maintain their existence. Isn't that why we always refer to successful politicians a

How to change flat ownership in GHMC records

It's been close to a year since we bought a new flat in Hyderabad. It has been one hell of a learning exercise for the sheer amount of paper work and procedures it involved before, during or after the purchase. Buying a house in Hyderabad has been an exciting and taxing journey, so far. All through this journey, I had a desire to document my experiences so that it would help others who wished to be helped. But luck, laziness and life kept me away from this. However, I'll at least start now with an account of what needs to be done to change the ownership records in GHMC [Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation]. The first time it struck me that I need to do this is when I received a property tax notice addressed to the previous owner of the flat (we made a second hand purchase). All along I thought once I had registered with the land records department, the government would take care of updating all other records. I was so wrong! So, I rushed to the nearest Municipal Citizen

The 2 Business Ideas

I had twitted about 2 business ideas and had promised the details would be on the blog. So here goes... JustGoa - See a different Goa every time I have been consulted at least about 15-20 times by different people for their leisure trips to Goa. This idea is a fallout of the experiences. This is a Goa specific travel company. I know there are hordes of Goan tour operators. But this one is with a different marketing strategy. This sort of concentrates on repeat business. The tours are thematic. Some of the themes would be - Chillax Religious Eco Celebrations (Weddings, Anniversaries, Receptions) Corporate (Conferences, team building exercises, product launches) The main thrust should be on maintaining the visit history of the tourists and ensuring they do not get bored with repeat visits. Aligning Marketing with capacity for special programs in monsoon, around long weekends etc. will definitely bring in a new angle to this business. 10ant.com I am not sure if there is anything like t