Skip to main content

Knights in shining armour

Atanu Dey's article on the PanIIT conference reminded me of something similar.



It was somewhere in 2001 when BJP government ruled the state of Goa and every Goan proudly showcased the IITian chief minister Mr. Manohar Parrikar. Even I was one of them, and still am proud of Mr. Parrikar. I was an engineering student that time and didn't know how things worked in politics. I was appointed (not elected) as the General Secretary of the student council of my college by the management itself.

We got a news somewhere in October of 2001 that the Government of Goa under the able leadership of Mr. Parrikar was all set to change the face of professional education in Goa. For this, a committee of eminent persons from the fields of education and industry was formed. All these big names were true sons of soil and were willing to give their time and effort for their motherland. To kick off the effort, a grand summit was organised at the Govt. Engineering College grounds in November 2001. I was chosen from my college to represent all the engineering colleges at the summit. I was supposed to express the views of Engineering Students on the reformation idea. I was truly honoured. There was a committee set up consisting of principals of two Diploma Institutes to ensure that the student representatives spoke sense. I was called my the honourable committee and some guidelines were laid for my short speech. The guidelines were pretty simple. I wasn't supposed to speak anything bad. I wouldn't be blaming an organisation, a system, a government agency, an institution etc. etc. Although I didn't know what to speak then, I managed to submit a mushy mushy speech with praise for the CM and the esteemed committee who would be doing all the good to our educational system.

On 'The Day', there was a beautiful arrangement at GEC and there was a large gathering of students and teachers sprinkled with politicians to taste. The day began with speeches and ended with speeches. 7 hours of day 1, people from various walks of life spoke about things like 'change is the most constant thing in life' and 'industry institute interaction'. It felt nice to hear all this. But I personally as a student and a stake holder in the education system thought that the two day sessions would be more interacting. Wherein students would be asked more questions and would be apart of the discussion. This very illusion made me bring with me a crowd of students eager to give their opinion and views on the kind of education they receive. But day ! was a big disappointment and I went back home with anger, frustration and disgust.

I went home and scraped the original speech that I had got approved from 'The committee'. And jotted down 10 points.

Day 2 was even worse. The students who came with me on day 1, weren't with me today because they knew nothing was going to happen. The students were called just to be impressed with the big guys. To imprint on their minds that everyone on the stage was a Knight in shining armour who had spared his time to give us a better education. Bullshit! On day 2 teachers were enjoying the conference like a picnic and discussed food as the speakers kept talking and talking and talking. It was going to be another day of 7 hours of talk. That is when at 4 o'clock in the evening, an announcement happened saying that the student would now express their opinion. At last!

I was given 10 minutes. I went on the dais and made the 10 mins speech. Some of the points of the speech I still remember were as follows:

  1. A lot was spoken about industry institute interaction but there was not a single industrialist from the adjoining industrial area.
  2. While a lot of people spoke for about 14 hours in the 2 day conference about the status quo and the future direction of education in Goa, the real stake holders, the core and the purpose of the educational system, the students, were given 10 minutes to express themselves.
  3. Teachers did not show sufficient sincerity, how could you expect the students.
  4. No body was committing anything, not even the government.
While nobody appreciated what I spoke, there were a few nodding heads. I knew I would be stared at through out the rest of the show. So I walked out and was sipping chai peacefully. That is when, one by one, people started coming to me and appreciated what I had done, and said it was 'much needed'.

I know this entire thing sounds a lot like self praise. But don't miss the important part. Nothing happened after the event. No steps were taken by the government. Engineers in Goa are still having the same educational system.Only thing that has changed is the Government itself.





powered by performancing firefox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What (not) to expect from a politician

  The photo has no real significance to the subject being discussed :-) Off late, I have seen a lot of my friends venting their anguish against politicians. Many of them expected the politicians to behave more responsibly, discipline the public on dos & don'ts of COVID precautions, get national priorities right and basically change the society to which they belong and are elected representatives. I think this bunch has wrong expectations from the wrong group of people. Here is why - A politician's entire existence is centred around election victory. Winning an election is their Key Performance Indicator (KPI). A consistently losing politician who is not making any effort to come to power, is not even a politician. Acceptance from society, popularity and majoritarian view are the fundamental characteristics of a politician. They have to operate within the limits of these fundamentals to maintain their existence. Isn't that why we always refer to successful politicians a

How to change flat ownership in GHMC records

It's been close to a year since we bought a new flat in Hyderabad. It has been one hell of a learning exercise for the sheer amount of paper work and procedures it involved before, during or after the purchase. Buying a house in Hyderabad has been an exciting and taxing journey, so far. All through this journey, I had a desire to document my experiences so that it would help others who wished to be helped. But luck, laziness and life kept me away from this. However, I'll at least start now with an account of what needs to be done to change the ownership records in GHMC [Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation]. The first time it struck me that I need to do this is when I received a property tax notice addressed to the previous owner of the flat (we made a second hand purchase). All along I thought once I had registered with the land records department, the government would take care of updating all other records. I was so wrong! So, I rushed to the nearest Municipal Citizen

The 2 Business Ideas

I had twitted about 2 business ideas and had promised the details would be on the blog. So here goes... JustGoa - See a different Goa every time I have been consulted at least about 15-20 times by different people for their leisure trips to Goa. This idea is a fallout of the experiences. This is a Goa specific travel company. I know there are hordes of Goan tour operators. But this one is with a different marketing strategy. This sort of concentrates on repeat business. The tours are thematic. Some of the themes would be - Chillax Religious Eco Celebrations (Weddings, Anniversaries, Receptions) Corporate (Conferences, team building exercises, product launches) The main thrust should be on maintaining the visit history of the tourists and ensuring they do not get bored with repeat visits. Aligning Marketing with capacity for special programs in monsoon, around long weekends etc. will definitely bring in a new angle to this business. 10ant.com I am not sure if there is anything like t